Sunday, December 2, 2007

Just Thinking...

Wow, it's way too late for me to be up and especially posting on this lil' blog of mine...The house is so nice and quiet which is quite a change from the last few nights of Jackson being up crying (all of us, except Jordan, are sick). Figured I'd post some new pictures of the kiddos before I headed up to bed. Then I had had these thoughts and couldn't go to bed without getting them out. I'm pretty tired here, but I think I can work this out from head to "paper".

We hung up our nativity calendar yesterday and on it hangs our first days symbol: the star which pointed the way to Jesus. I was just gazing at it, somewhat lost in thought, when it struck me how much it's my first responsibility as a parent to show the way, as the star once did, to Christ for my children. As I was sitting there lost in thought I was really evaulating my parenting as of late. To be honost, I've been caught up in details and schedules and "behavior charts" and less the reflection of Christ and unconditional love that I want to be. It's somewhat ironic, because where the nativity calendar now hangs, was Grace's behavior and responsiblility chart which I had taken down to make room for the nativity calendar. It really made me think what else I should be "taking down" so to speak in order to let the light of Christ shine through out this home and in my life. I don't think that schedules and charts are bad, because Grace really thrives on them, but I think that they have been too much of our focus here lately. I don't want my kiddos to think those things are most imporant to me, because SO much more than that I want my children to know, love and and in turn serve Christ. My focus has been off and I can see that now - I'm so glad God continues to break through to me to help me be a (hopefully) better parent.

Now that my head is (somewhat) clear, I think I'll head to bed!

1 comment:

jenny said...

What great thoughts...thanks so much for sharing, Laura. You are such a great momma and are always inspiring for me to be around.

I, too, have been caught in trying to train my kids up to act like Christ wants them to...only to realize we are first loved by Christ, then He makes us like Him. If we can reflect Christ's love into their hearts (as we allow Him first to fill our own hearts) then that's all that really matters.